Sun-dried tomato basil scones are my Mediterranean inspired spin on my mom’s beloved and sacred scone recipe. Her scones are legendary and I live for them! I was thrilled about how this version came out. They were so savory, fluffy, flavorful and simple to make. They made the perfect brunch this weekend to give us a switch from our usual pancakes.
When they came out they were so puffy, golden and gorgeous. I was so happy! I just let them cool for a few minutes before I tried one. The smell alone made my mouth water. I have to say, basil is one of my favorite smells in the world. When I bit in there was the crunch on the outside. Then the inside was so tender and fluffy with a juicy hit from the sun-dried tomatoes. Oh my goodness, pure heaven! Enjoy, friends.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup Fresh basil leaves roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 and line a baking sheet with either a silicone mat or parchment paper. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and smoked paprika in a large mixing bowl. Whisk it together to aerate the dry ingredients. Then pour in the buttermilk, sun-dried tomatoes and fresh basil. Stir it together just until it comes together into a sticky dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and bring it together into a ball. Knead it for a couple of turns to really bring it together. That's all it needs though, don't overwork it. Press the ball of dough down into a flat, even disc. Use a pastry cutter or knife to cut the disc into 8 equal wedges.
- Transfer the wedges to the baking sheet and brush them all with the melted butter. Then let the scones bake for about 15 minutes. They should get golden and crisp on the outside. Take them out and let them cool for a few minutes, then serve! These are amazing any time of day!