Would you believe I never had spaghetti squash until this week? Since I am a bit of a pasta addict, I was hesitant to try it because I thought it would just be a disappointing substitute with no taste. This week I decided to jump in and give it a go though for something a little healthier and low carb. Well, I have never been happier about being so entirely wrong. I decided to pair it with some amazing pesto chicken and it was a match made in heaven!
Oh my goodness, when the pesto chicken stuffed spaghetti squash came out I could not wait to try it. It really looked and smelled so wonderful. I was even happier when I took my first bite. Let me tell you, I did not even miss my beloved pasta. It really felt like having some spaghetti with pesto chicken. There was so much flavor and wonderful texture happening. It was a perfect dish for my healthier 2018! I have no delusions of giving up real pasta completely, but it really is great to know there is an absolutely fantastic, lower carb substitute. Hope you all enjoy it too! xoxo
This pesto chicken stuffed spaghetti squash is so loaded with flavor and low carb! It's perfect for a healthy, satisfying dinner.
- 2wholespaghetti squash
- olive oilas needed
- saltas needed
- freshly cracked black pepperas needed
- dried parsley
- garlic powderas needed
- 1dasholive oil
- 4ounceswhite mushroomsthinly sliced
- 1jarsun-dried tomatoes10 ounce size, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1poundboneless skinless chickendiced into small cubes
- 1pinchfreshly cracked black pepper
- 1pinchgarlic powder
- 1pinchdried parsley
- 1cupbasil pesto sauceeither homemade or jarred
- 1/4cupgrated parmesan cheesedivided
- First, prepare the squash. Pre-heat the oven to 400 and line a sheet tray with a silicone mat or aluminum foil. Cut each of the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise to have 4 little boats. Scrape the seeds out of each half. Then drizzle the flesh in each half generously with olive oil, followed by generous pinches of the salt, pepper, garlic powder and dried parsley. roast the squash for 45 minutes to make it tender and shreddable.
- While it cooks, prepare the filling. Heat the olive oil in a large, deep skillet over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes and let them become fragrant for 2-3 minutes. Then add the chicken and let it completely cook while you stir it well. While the chicken cooks, season the entire mixture with the salt, pepper, garlic powder and dried parsley. Once the chicken is cooked through, add the pesto sauce and let it all gently simmer together on low for 5 minutes. Take it off of the heat and set it aside.
- When the squash is done, take it out and reduce the oven temperature to 350. Use a fork to completely shred the flesh of the squash into tender "spaghetti", leaving it in its shell. Divide the chicken mixture evenly among the squash boats and stuff them well. Finally, top each stuffed squash with a tablespoon of the parmesan cheese. Put it back into the oven to meld together for 6-8 minutes. Serve immediately and enjoy!