New Year, New Recipes! I’ve written a few posts since 2018, but this is my first new recipe of the year. Since I am making an effort to be less decadent this year (just less, I’m not giving anything up, ha!), I wanted to kick off this year’s recipes with a satisfying, incredible and healthy Italian quinoa salad. Quinoa is a favorite of mine, and I love to use it in salads. This was so quick and easy to make too.
This Italian quinoa salad was such a perfect, healthy way to kick off my recipes of 2018. I hope you all love it as much as we did here! xoxo
This is such a refreshing, simple and wonderful Italian quinoa salad. It's satisfying without being heavy for a light lunch or start to dinner.
- 2 1/4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked quinoa
- 1 dash olive oil
- 8 ounces white mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup baby spinach packed
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1 whole lemon zested and juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- First, cook the quinoa. Get out a medium sauce pan and bring the stock to a boil in it on the stove. Once it is boiling, stir in the quinoa. Put a lid on the pot and turn the heat to low. Let the quinoa cook for 12-15 minutes, until it is tender and the little tendrils pop out. When it is done, fluff it up with a fork. While the quinoa cooks, prepare the rest of the salad. Get out a skillet and heat the olive oil in it over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and tomatoes and let them cook until tender for about 6-7 minutes. Then add in the spinach and let it just wilt in, followed by the seasoning of salt, pepper and garlic powder. Finally, add the cheese to melt in. Stir it all together well and set it aside.
- Make the easy dressing next. Whisk the lemon zest, lemon juice and Dijon together in a bowl thoroughly. Then slowly pour in the olive oil while you keep whisking until you have a gorgeous, pale yellow dressing. Take the quinoa and the dressing and stir them both into the skillet of vegetables. Then you have three options. You can serve it warm immediately, leave it out and serve it at room temperature, or chill it in a sealed container for up to a day ahead of time! It's so versatile.