I’ve talked a lot on this blog about how shrimp is my absolute favorite protein. It makes me all like Bubba from Forrest Gump. The only thing that keeps me from eating it more often is that it is expensive and we are on a budget. My store had it on sale this week though, so score!! It’s such a fantastic source of lean protein and darn delicious to boot. So I used it to make lean and amazingly flavorful shrimp burrito bowls. This recipe fit in perfectly with my 2018 quest to cook a little more nutritiously and healthy!
When the rice and shrimp mixture were both finished, I quickly assembled the shrimp burrito bowls. The rice was at the bottom and absorbed all of the lovely juices from the shrimp mixture. Then I topped each bowl with lots of avocado for some creamy texture. Oh my goodness, this was such a cinchy, amazing and healthy supper! The shrimp was so succulent and perfect with the tender rice. The beans and avocado gave them a lot of substance and flavor without being heavy. Marc and I both went nuts for it. I hope you all love it too! xoxo
These shrimp burrito bowls have so much flavor and are really lean with lots of black beans, avocado, spices and brown rice!
- 1 stick butter
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 1 envelope Sazon Goya seasoning culantro y achiote flavor
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp peeled and deveined, tails removed
- 1 whole lime zested, plus additional lime wedges for garnish
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice from the lime you zested
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- 1 can black beans half of the liquid drained. 15 oz size
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- 2 whole avocados seed and skin removed, thinly sliced
- First, make the rice. In a medium pot, melt the butter and let it start to bubble over medium heat. Add in the rice and Goya seasoning and let that all toast in the butter for about a minute. Then pour in the chicken stock and let it come to a boil while you give everything a stir. Once it is boiling, put the lid on the pot and turn the heat down a little to medium low. Let the rice cook until tender for about 30-35 minutes.
- While the rice cooks, gather and prep the remaining ingredients and cook it up! Get out a large, deep skillet and heat the coconut oil in it over medium high heat. Sear the shrimp in the coconut oil until it becomes pink and opaque for about 4-6 minutes. While it cooks, add the lime zest, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and garlic powder to make a gorgeous, fragrant sauce for the shrimp to cook in. Then add the black beans with half of the liquid and the cilantro. Let the whole mixture bubble gently for another 3-5 minutes to let all of the flavors meld together.
- If the rice isn't yet ready by this point, turn the heat to low to just keep the shrimp mixture warm. Once the rice is ready, take it off of the heat and fluff it up with a fork. Scoop a generous helping of the rice into 4 bowls. There will be leftovers that you can use for fried rice and lots of yummy things. Then divide the shrimp mixture evenly among the 4 bowls on top of the rice. Finally, top each burrito bowl with lots of avocado and a lime wedge. Serve immediately and enjoy!
8 thoughts on “Shrimp Burrito Bowls”
Yum! I love shrimp but don’t eat it often enough. Thanks for sharing a fun recipe!
Making shrimp the protein here sounds so good! We love shrimp!
These Shrimp Burrito Bowls look delicious! I’ll have to try the recipe.
Thank you so much!!
These look delicious! And shrimp just so happens to be one of the things we ALWAYS have on-hand at home!
Awesome, I hope you love the recipe!! Thanks so much :-).
Um.May be my new favorite dish. Always looking for ways to change up my lunches.
Thank you so much, I hope you love it!!
Comments are closed.