I am a huge fan of coconut and my husband Marc is even more of a fan. In summer, I love how it just plays off of the balmy weather to make it feel like a tropical. When the sweet coconut is balanced with the heat of fresh ginger, it is a completely winning combination! To keep that perfect balance, I left the chocolate out of the equation and came up with the idea of these incredible coconut ginger blondies! They were such a fun dessert. Best of all, they were so simple to make. That was my kind of treat!
When they were cooled, I cut the coconut ginger blondies into 12 equal squares. Then it was time to enjoy them! Oh my goodness, leaving out the chocolate let the other flavors really shine. I loved the heat of the ginger against the sweetness of the coconut. The butterscotch chips and shredded coconut also gave them fantastic flavor. These babies were such an amazing and tropical inspired dessert. Enjoy, friends!
- 2 tablespoons peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 2 whole eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 1/4 cups shredded coconut
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- First combine the fresh ginger and two sugars in the bowl of a stand mixer. Let the sugars soften the ginger for 5 minutes while you pre-heat the oven to 325 and spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray. In another bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ground ginger and salt together to aerate the dry ingredients. Then add the butter to the stand mixer bowl with the ginger and two sugars. Cream it all together thoroughly until it is a fluffy base.
- Pour in the eggs and coconut extract and let them get mixed in well. Turn the speed to low and slowly pour in the dry ingredients. Then turn the mixer off and use a rubber spatula to fold in the shredded coconut. Pour the batter into the greased baking pan and smooth it out with the spatula to make sure it is even. Bake the blondies for about 40 minutes. Test them with a toothpick inserted in the center. It should come out cleanly. Let the blondies cool for at least 20 minutes. Then cut into 12 equal squares and serve! Enjoy!!