I have no problem admitting that I am a bit of a caffeine addict. I don’t become a human being in the morning until I’ve had at least a cup of coffee! Since I had a particularly busy weekend this past weekend, I thought I would stack the deck and make a caffeinated treat as well to get me through. Espresso and chocolate together is so perfect because the espresso enhances the chocolate gorgeously. So I devised these incredible and simple chocolate espresso muffins!
Once they cooled, I got to have my lovely caffeinated treat with my coffee for double trouble. Oh my goodness, they were everything I wanted to power me through the busy weekend! The crumb was so tender with those melty jewels of chocolate. The espresso deepened the flavor gloriously. I was a happy little caffeine addict! xoxo
These chocolate espresso muffins are so delectable and flavorful! They're perfect in the morning to have with a good cup of coffee.
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 container mascarpone cheese 8 ounce size
- 1 cup milk
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 and line two 12 well muffin trays with paper liners. Heat the water in a small pot to a low boil, then stir in the instant espresso until it is fully dissolved. Take the pot off of the heat and let it cool. While it cools whisk the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a large whisking bowl. Whisk the mascarpone cheese, milk, eggs and cooled espresso liquid together in another bowl until smooth. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk it all together just until a batter forms. Switch to a rubber spatula and fold in the chocolate chips.
- Use a 1.5 inch cookie scoop to distribute two scoops of the batter into each lined muffin well. Bake the muffins for about 20 minutes, rotating the trays halfway through so that they bake evenly. Use a toothpick inserted in the center of a couple of them to make sure they are baked through. It should come out cleanly. When they are done, let them cool in the muffin trays for a few minutes, then remove them to finish cooling completely. Serve them as a wonderful breakfast or pick me up snack! They will keep for two days in a sealed container.