It’s Memorial Day weekend!! Marc has today and tomorrow off so he is one happy camper, as am I that he will be home. So far the weather has been sunny but we are supposed to get huge amounts of rain to dampen all the fun tomorrow. I went and made a festive, refreshing berry basil salad anyway for the weekend to keep away the rainy blues! It came together in minutes.
Once it was all tossed together I let the salad chill for a couple of hours. It could also have been made the night before. The longer it sat, the more juices were drawn out and it almost became this flavorful chilled fruit soup. It was so refreshing on these hot days we’ve been having! I loved that it was sweet but the basil gave it an earthy element. It was the perfect Memorial Day weekend salad/soup. Hope you all enjoy! xoxo
This berry basil salad is so refreshing, flavorful and bright with a sweet lemon poppyseed dressing. It's perfect for Memorial Day weekend!
- 1poundfresh strawberrieshulled and quartered
- 1pintfresh blueberries
- 1/4cupfresh basilcoarsely chopped
- 1wholelemonzested and juiced
- 1/3cupgranulated sugar
- 1/4teaspoonground mustard
- 1/2cupcanola oil
- 1/2teaspoonpoppy seeds
- Combine the strawberries, blueberries and basil in a large bowl and give them a good stir. Then whisk the lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar, ground mustard and salt together in another bowl. While you keep whisking, slowly pour in the canola oil and continue to whisk until it is a thick dressing. Lastly, whisk in the poppy seeds. Coat the berries and basil in the dressing. Chill for a couple of hours or overnight and serve!