When I need a break from all of my favorite Mediterranean foods, one of my favorite things to do is head out for some yummy Mexican food. Marc and I have a great place barely over a mile from us and I live for their burritos. They’re huge and hearty and really satisfying. So this week I decided to make my own version right here at home! These beef and bean burritos were so easy to make.
I just wrapped those fully stuffed beef and bean burritos tightly and it was time to eat! They were so filling and oh so good, let me tell you. The filling and toppings were all mixed together gloriously for a perfect bite. The cheddar started to melt right into the hot filling. I loved that Marc and I were able to enjoy one of our favorite Mexican restaurant treats right at home! Hope you all enjoy, xoxo.
Beef and bean burritos are so hearty and satisfying! The filling is wrapped up in warm flour tortillas with cheese, guacamole and salsa toppings.
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 envelope Sazon Goya seasoning the culantro y achiote flavor
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 dash olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 teaspoon hickory smoked sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 whole lime juiced
- 2 tablespoons beer
- 1 can black beans 15 oz size, drained but not rinsed
- 8 whole flour tortillas burrito sized
- shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese as needed for topping
- salsa as needed for topping
- guacamole either store bought or my recipe from 9/23/16
- sour cream optional, as needed
- First, make the rice. Get a medium saucepan that has a lid onto the stove and heat the butter in it over medium high heat. Once it is nearly melted, add the rice and let it lightly toast in the butter for just a minute. While it cooks stir in the packet of Sazon Goya seasoning. Then pour in the chicken stock. Let the liquid come to a gentle boil, then put the lid on and turn the heat to low. Let the rice cook until tender for about 20 minutes.
- While the rice cooks, make the beef and bean filling. Get out a large skillet with deep sides and heat the olive oil in it over medium high heat. Brown the beef in it while you break it up. As the beef cooks through, season it with the salt, chili powder, smoked paprika and pepper. Once the beef is fully cooked add in the lime juice, beer and black beans. Let the mixture simmer for 10 minutes for the flavors to meld together.
- The rice and the beef mixture should be done at around the same time. Take them off of the heat. Stack the tortillas on a microwave safe plate and just warm them up a little in the microwave on high for about 15-20 seconds. Plate the first tortilla and pile on a generous scoop of the rice, followed by a big scoop of the beef and bean mixture. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top, then salsa and guacamole as desired. Sour cream would also be a great topping. Fold in the short sides of the burrito, then roll it up tightly. Serve immediately and repeat to assemble 7 more burritos!