It’s almost time to say goodbye to Fall and I can’t believe it. It is cold here in New Jersey and our Christmas decorations are officially up. I had to get in one last pumpkin recipe to satisfy my pumpkin obsessed sweet tooth. So I decided to send Fall out in style with these amazing and decadent salted caramel pumpkin cupcakes!
The buttercream needed to set a bit in the refrigerator to make it a little firmer to work with. It was ready by the time the cupcakes were completely cool! I just frosted all of the pumpkin cupcakes and drizzled each one with a little extra salted caramel sauce on top to finish them. Oh my goodness, they were pure heaven. The pumpkin cupcakes were so airy and flavorful. Then that incredible buttercream just sent them over the top. I loved the way the salted caramel flavor complimented the pumpkin flavor. What a way to say goodbye to Fall flavors and transition to Winter! xoxo
These salted caramel pumpkin cupcakes are so decadent and amazing! The cupcakes are airy and moist with the most luscious salted caramel buttercream.
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree divided
- 1 stick butter softened to room temperature
- 1 cup salted caramel sauce either store bought or your favorite homemade version, plus additional for drizzling on top
- 1 pinch pumpkin pie spice
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- First, turn the butter for the cupcakes into liquid gold brown butter. Put the stick of butter in a sauce pan and heat it over medium high heat. Let it bubble and cook just until it starts to get brown and nutty smelling. Take it off of the heat immediately to set it aside and let it cool. Pre-heat the oven to 350 and line a 12 well cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt together in a bowl to aerate the dry ingredients and set the bowl aside. Combine the brown sugar and cooled brown butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Cream them together until smooth. Add the eggs one at a time followed by the vanilla extract. Once they are mixed in, turn the speed to low and slowly add 1/3 of the dry ingredients followed by 1/2 of the pumpkin puree. Then add the next 1/3 of the dry ingredients followed by the last of the pumpkin puree. Finish with the last of the dry ingredients until it is a smooth batter.
- Use a 1/3 cup measure to scoop even amounts of the batter into each lined cupcake well. Bake the cupcakes for about 15-20 minutes, until puffed up and completely baked through. Insert a toothpick in the center of a few of them to see if they are done. It should come out clean. Let the cupcakes cool for 10 minutes or so in the pan, then remove them to a rack to finish cooling completely.
- While the cupcakes bake and cool, prepare the luscious salted caramel buttercream. You will need to wash out the stand mixer bowl and paddle attachment. Add the softened butter to the bowl and beat it until fluffy and smooth. Add in the salted caramel sauce, pumpkin pie spice and salt and let it all get well combined. Turn the speed to low and slowly add in the powdered sugar until it becomes a fluffy, smooth frosting. Cover the stand mixer bowl and let the frosting firm up and set a bit in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- The cupcakes should be completely cool about the same time as the frosting is set. Frost each cupcake using either an offset spatula or a pastry bag. Drizzle a little additional salted caramel on top of the cupcakes and serve immediately! These will also keep in the refrigerator sealed up for a day or so. Enjoy!
10 thoughts on “Salted Caramel Pumpkin Cupcakes”
OMG Salted caramel and pumpkin sound like a match made in heaven! Need to make this
They definitely are!! Thanks very much :-).
These cupcakes totally embody Fall, they sound so yummy =)
Thank you so much!!
Right?! It feels as though fall JUUUUUST got here!! I shared a pumpkin recipe today too. And yours looks incredible!
Thanks very much, I appreciate that!!
Salted caramel and pumpkin are THE perfect combination! Looks amazing!
Thanks very much, Marta!!
Oh my word, this looks like heaven in a cupcake wrapper to me! LOL
They pretty much are, lol!! Thanks so much.
Comments are closed.