I love french toast casseroles so much. There’s no fancy culinary reason except that they are so yummy. The real reason is that I can assemble it the day before. For someone like me who can barely form sentences before my morning coffee, it’s a life saver! I don’t have to think too much in the morning, it just goes right in the oven. In honor of Fall (and my obsession with all things pumpkin), I made this pumpkin French toast casserole over the weekend. It was so easy to assemble!
I let the casserole sit overnight. The bread absorbed that gorgeous custard and everything melded together. In the morning, I just had to bake it for about 45 minutes!
Oh my goodness, when I took it out of the oven it made the entire house smell like Fall. I let it cool for a few minutes before cutting it and serving it up! I topped each piece with chopped walnuts and maple syrup to finish it off perfectly. Let me tell you, this brunch could not have been easier or more incredible! Enjoy, friends. xoxo
Pumpkin French Toast casserole is such a warmly spiced, custardy brunch delight! Assemble it quickly the night before, then just bake it in the morning.
- 1 loaf sliced pumpkin spice bread cubed
- 8 whole eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup pumpkin butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 pinch salt
- chopped walnuts as needed for topping
- maple syrup as needed for topping
- Lightly spray a 9 x 13 baking pan with cooking spray. Evenly distribute the bread cubes in it to form a big layer. Whisk the eggs, milk, pumpkin puree, pumpkin butter, pumpkin pie spice and salt together in a bowl until smooth. Pour the mixture over the bread. Make sure the bread is in an even layer and covered in the liquid. Cover the baking pan and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next morning, pre-heat the oven to 350. Take the baking pan out and remove the cover. Bake the casserole for about 45 to 50 minutes. The bread should get slightly crispy on top and the custard should be completely set. Allow it to cool when it's done for about 5 minutes. Then cut into the desired portions and serve immediately with chopped walnuts and syrup on top!