Dump cake was one of those desserts my mom would make when she needed something last minute. It was perfect because she almost always had the ingredients in the pantry, ready to throw together if unexpected guests came calling. I didn’t appreciate the genius of it when I was growing up. I just thought it was ridiculously yummy! Now I count it among one of my go to desserts if I am in a pinch. The combination possibilities are endless, but this pineapple blueberry dump cake is my favorite version.
I scooped it out onto plates with fresh blueberries on top to give extra juicy bursts of flavor. Oh my goodness, it was just how I remembered by mom’s! I loved how the tart pineapple contrasted with the sweet blueberries. The yellow cake was the perfect vehicle to carry all of that flavor. This pineapple blueberry dump cake was pure simplicity that still could impress company. Hope you all enjoy this fruity, amazing treat!
- 1 can crushed pineapple with juice, 20 ounce size
- 1 can blueberry pie filling 21 ounce size
- 1 box yellow cake mix 15.25 ounce size
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 stick butter thinly sliced
- fresh blueberries as needed for garnish
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 and grease a 9 x 13 baking dish well with shortening. Spread the crushed pineapple out in an even bottom layer in the pan, followed by an even layer of the blueberry pie filling. Spread the yellow cake mix evenly on top of the blueberry, followed by the pecans on top of the cake mix. Lastly, distribute the butter slices evenly on the very top. Bake the dump cake for about 50 minutes for everything to meld together and get slightly golden on top. Let it cool for about 10-15 minutes, then scoop it out onto plates and serve immediately with fresh blueberries on top!