It is well documented that breakfast, especially weekend brunch, is a big deal in this house. I live for it. I’m always looking to come up with fun new breakfast recipes and inspiration comes from the funniest places sometimes. I had left my waffle iron out a little while back while I was unpacking groceries. Soft taco shells were sitting right next to it waiting to be put away, and it hit me that they were the perfect size for the waffle iron. So the idea for these amazing and easy breakfast quesadillas was born! I made them this weekend and oh my goodness was I happy with how they came out.
I was one happy woman when hubby and I sat down to eat these breakfast quesadillas. The tortillas were slightly crisp and had great texture from the little waffle iron marks. The sausage, egg and cheese filling was so savory and flavorful. I think I am going to use my waffle iron to make any quesadillas from now on! I hope you all enjoy this amazing and easy breakfast! xoxo
These breakfast quesadillas are loaded with flavorful sausage, eggs and cheddar cheese before getting griddled to perfection in a waffle iron!
- 1dasholive oil
- 3/4poundground breakfast sausage
- 1dashworcestershire sauce
- 1pinchfreshly cracked black pepper
- 8wholesoft taco shells
- 1cupextra sharp shredded cheddar cheesedivided
- butteras needed for greasing the waffle iron
- ketchup, salsa, or maple syrupas needed for dipping
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in the sausage and brown it as you break it up. It will take about 5 minutes to cook completely. While it is browning, pour in the dash of Worcestershire to flavor it more. Meanwhile, combine the eggs, milk, salt, pepper and sriracha in a bowl and whisk that all together thoroughly. Turn the burner heat to medium and pour the egg mixture over the cooked sausage. Stir it all constantly and let the eggs form soft, scrambled curds. Do not let the eggs dry out since they will cook more in the waffle iron. Take the pan off of the heat and set it aside.
- Pre-heat a standard sized Belgian waffle iron. While it heats up, assemble the first quesadilla. Spread 1/4 of the egg mixture out evenly and tightly on one of the soft taco shells, then sprinkle a 1/4 cup of the shredded cheddar on top of it. Close the quesadilla with another soft taco shell on top. Butter the waffle iron generously to grease it, then firmly press the quesadilla in it. Let it cook for about 3 minutes. While it is cooking assemble the next quesadilla.
- When the first quesadilla is done, take it out and lightly wipe down the waffle iron to clean up any mess. Butter it again before cooking the next one. Cut the quesadilla into quarters and serve it immediately with any desired dipping sauces. Ketchup, maple syrup or salsa all are perfect options! Repeat to make 4 quesadillas total and enjoy!