I think muffins are the perfect little package. Usually they are packaged as a sweet breakfast pastry, but I think they can be so much more. I made these savory, delectable parmesan pesto muffins to go on the side of pasta the other night to mop up the delicious sauce. I love garlic bread a lot, but these babies were a welcome and different change! They were super easy to whip up.
These parmesan pesto muffins are so savory and loaded with Italian flavor! They're perfect for breakfast or on the side of a main course.
- 1 3/4cupsall-purpose flour
- 3/4cupsmedium ground corn meal
- 1tablespoonbaking powder
- 1/2teaspoontruffle salt
- 1/2cupolive oil
- 1/2cupfreshly grated parmesan cheeseplus additional for sprinkling on top
- 3tablespoonsbasil pesto sauceeither jarred or homemade
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 and line a 12 well muffin tin with paper liners. Combine the flour, corn meal, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl and whisk them together to aerate them. Combine the milk, olive oil, parmesan cheese, pesto sauce and eggs in another bowl and whisk those wet ingredients together until smooth. Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and whisk it all together until you have a thick batter.
- Scoop a heaping 1/4 cup of batter into each lined muffin well. Bake the muffins for about 15 minutes, until puffy and baked through. Insert a toothpick in the center of a few to make sure they are done. It should come out cleanly. Sprinkle additional grated parmesan on the muffins while they are still warm. Let them cool, then serve immediately!