I can bluntly say that I am not a big football follower. However, that all changes on Super bowl Sunday because the awesome parties and food make me so happy. It always is a great time chowing down with friends with lots of yelling at the TV. I can’t help getting caught up in the excitement. Game day food is always hearty, super flavorful and should definitely involve beer in my mind. So in that spirit I made these incredible kielbasa sandwiches! They were simple to make.
I closed my sandwich up with the fluffy top bun and dove right in with no shame. Let me tell you these kielbasa sandwiches just screamed game day. The kielbasa was smokey and savory with the flavorful sauerkraut mixture and crisp pickles complimenting it perfectly. The fluffy pretzel bun just brought it all home. Hope you all enjoy these babies and have fun on Sunday! xoxo
These kielbasa sandwiches are so loaded with flavor with the cheesy sauerkraut, onion and beer topping, crisp pickles and homemade pretzel buns!
- 1 ring kielbasa sausage
- 1 can sauerkraut 14-15 ounce size
- 1/2 an onion thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons beer the rest goes to the chef!
- 1/2 cup extra sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- 16 whole sandwich stacker pickles
- 8 whole pretzel buns either store bought or my homemade recipe from 2/1/17!
- First, boil the kielbasa. Fill a large skillet with deep sides with water and bring it to a boil. Quarter the kielbasa ring and cook it in the boiling water for 30 minutes. Remove them to a cutting board when they are done and drain the water. Put the pan back on the heat and pour the sauerkraut in with its liquid. Let it heat up, then add the onion and two mustards. Season the mixture with the pinch of salt, then pour in the beer. Let the mixture cook for 3-5 minutes, until the liquid is pretty much gone. Stir in the cheddar cheese until it is melted, then take the pan off of the heat. Meanwhile, lightly toast the pretzel buns.
- Time to assemble! Cut each quarter of kielbasa in half horizontally to have 8 equal pieces. Then cut each of the pieces in half lengthwise to have a flat side to put on the sandwich. You'll have 16 pieces total. Place two pieces of kielbasa flat side down on the bottom bun, then spoon a generous scoop of the sauerkraut mixture on the kielbasa. Top that with 2 sandwich stacker pickles, then close the sandwich. Repeat until they are all assembled and serve immediately! They are so perfect for the big game.
4 thoughts on “Kielbasa Sandwiches”
I made your Homemade Pretzel Buns and are they FANTASTIC!!
I changed up the recipe to make only eight, really love your serving/size chart you have, thanks for the help.
I did make mine with apple cider vinegar because of no beer.
Just letting you know that they taste very good, thanks for your help with that ingredient.
And you are right about the look and feel of the dough, it had me a bit worried.
I went ahead and crossed my fingers for luck and charged ahead.
So happy I did, they are sooooo good!!
I wish could send you pictures so you can see my finished Homemade Pretzel Buns.
This Kielbasa Sandwich is definitely going to be made soon….LOL!!
Especially since I have some wonderful pretzel buns to eat it on.
Have a wonderful day Leigh!
Dalila that makes me so happy!!! Thanks a whole lot for the feedback and kind words. Love that they were a success for you. Enjoy them and the sandwiches!!
BIG kielbasa fans at my house, and this recipe has all the makings to be a new family favorite! Classic and delicious- just the way I like it!
Same here, my Polish hubby has made us both huge kielbasa fans. This sandwich is absolutely a favorite here now and I hope your family loves it too! 🙂
Comments are closed.