I love it when cookies are substantial enough to be more than just dessert. They become an amazing snack for any time of day. Oatmeal cookies came to mind at first. I went with something a little different though with these incredible chunky granola cookies! These babies were inspired by my favorite granola bars. I basically took the key ingredients in the granola bars and folded them into a simple cookie dough! They were so simple to make.
I let chunky granola cookies cool completely on racks, then it was time to dig in with a frosty glass of milk! Oh my goodness, I loved how the soft cookie dough enveloped all of the goodies just enough to hold it all together. The coconut and walnuts became toasty and the chocolate was gloriously melted. There was so much flavor and texture going on. These babies were the perfect afternoon snack. Oh who am I kidding, they were great late at night too. Enjoy, friends! xoxo
These chunky granola cookies are so chock full of goodies! Granola, chocolate chips, nuts and coconut come together in the perfect, satisfying snack.
- 3 cups granola be sure to break up the big chunks
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks butter softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon banana extract
- 1 whole egg
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 and line 4 cookie sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Combine the granola, mini chocolate chips, coconut and walnuts together in a bowl and stir it all together well. Set it aside. Whisk the flour, cinnamon and salt together in another bowl and set it aside. Set up a stand mixer with the paddle attachment and combine the butter with the two sugars in its bowl. Beat them together well until fluffy and creamy. Add the banana extract next, followed by the egg and let them get completely mixed in. Turn the speed to low and slowly add the flour mixture just until it disappears.
- Turn the mixer off and switch to a spatula to thoroughly fold in the granola mixture. The dough will just coat it just enough to hold it all together. Use a 1.5 inch cookie scoop to scoop perfect mounds of the dough right onto the lined cookie sheets. 13 mounds should fit per sheet. These do not spread that much. Bake the first two sheets of cookies for 10-12 minutes, rotating the sheets halfway through so that they bake evenly. Take them out and let them cool for 5 minutes or so before transferring them to racks to finish cooling.
- Repeat the process with the last two sheets. Once all of the cookies are cool, transfer them to airtight containers where they will keep for days. Enjoy with a frosty glass of milk any time of day!