I think I lost count of the amount of chicken parmigiana I had eaten well before I was 8 years old. My Nana Lulu made it so often for weekend family dinners. My mom and sister loved it so much that they made it quite a lot as well. It was always a staple in my family and still is to this day. It’s simple to put together and so incredible. My version of chicken parmigiana stayed true to the beloved classic while still infusing big new flavors! The secret was to flavor each step of making it.
Once it came out, I topped the chicken parmigiana with finely chopped parsley for garnish and served it immediately! I served it over a bed of linguini aglio oglio since that was always how it was done in my family. To me it was just tradition! Let me tell you, the chicken was super juicy and tender with that amazing crust. Then the marinara and smoked mozzarella just hit it right home in every sense. This dish was and still is home and family! Enjoy the handy printable just below my friends.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 dash water
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 4 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts
- canola oil as needed for pan frying
- 1 cup homemade marinara *see post from 2/24/15
- 8 slices smoked mozzarella
- fresh parsley finely chopped as needed for garnish
- First, set up the breading line for the chicken with three big, shallow bowls. In the first bowl mix together the flour, dried onion and dried oregano. In the second bowl whisk together the eggs, water and minced garlic. In the third bowl mix together the breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. Have a plate handy on the end to hold the breaded chicken.
- Once the breading line is set up fill a cast iron skillet with about an inch and a half of canola oil and heat it over medium high heat to pan fry the chicken. Pre-heat the oven to 350 as well. While the oil gets hot put all 4 chicken breasts through the breading line. Use one hand to coat the chicken in the flour, the other hand to dip it in the egg wash mixture, then back to the first hand to coat it in the breadcrumbs. This keeps it as clean and neat as possible. Then just transfer the chicken to the plate once it is breaded.
- Get the breaded chicken into the hot oil to pan fry on the first side for about 3 minutes to let it get super crisp and golden. Flip then over to get just as crispy and golden on the other side for another 3 minutes, then remove them to a plate lined with paper towel to blot them.
- Move the chicken into a baking dish and top each piece with a 1/4 cup of marinara sauce. Then lay 2 slices of smoked mozzarella on each piece over the marinara to finish assembling the chicken parmigiana. Get the baking dish into the oven to let the chicken parmigiana bake for 15 minutes. The mozzarella will melt gorgeously!
- When time is up, take the baking dish out and let the chicken rest a minute. Then sprinkle finely chopped fresh parsley on top for some green freshness and serve immediately!