I discovered the pure joy that is salted caramel from my very dear friend Barbara. We were out and had a slice of salted caramel cake and I was completely hooked. It became a thing with her and me. We always have to have salted caramel whenever we see it and we are constantly drooling over recipes that call for it. I discovered this one for salted caramel butter bars through pinterest on this awesome blog here and I had to try them. Oh my goodness was I glad I did! Best of all they were simple to make.
The crust was sweet and buttery while the filling was so smooth, luscious and slightly salty to cut though it all. These salted caramel butter bars were a simple dessert concept taken to a whole new level! It definitely was not diet food but small indulgences once in a while never hurt anyone. Hope you all enjoy! xoxo
- 4 sticks butter softened to room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups flour
- 14 ounces caramel candies unwrapped
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 325 and grease a 9 x 13 pan liberally with softened butter or shortening. Set up a stand mixer with the paddle attachment and combine the butter and sugar in its bowl for the crust. Beat them together well until fluffy. Add the vanilla next. Then turn the speed to low and slowly add the flour until it is just worked in to be a soft dough. Divide the dough in half and press the first half out into a thin, even layer in the prepared pan. Bake it for 15 minutes, then let it cool.
- While the crust bakes and cools, prepare the filling. Combine the caramels, heavy cream and sugar in a large, microwave safe bowl. Microwave it for a minute and then give it a stir. Then microwave it for another 30 seconds and stir it again. If it still is not completely melted let it go for another 30 seconds and stir it again until it is completely smooth and shiny. Pour the filling evenly over the bottom crust and then sprinkle the salt evenly over the caramel.
- Take the second half of dough and crumble it in an even layer on top of the caramel. Bake the assemble bars for another 15-20 minutes, until just golden. Let the pan cool for about 20 minutes, then cover it and refrigerate it for a couple of hours at least. This makes them easier to cut. Then cut the bars into the size you want and serve them!
2 thoughts on “Salted Caramel Butter Bars”
Why not just make caramel?
That would be fantastic! I just was curious to try the shortcut method in the original recipe and it was a great, easy way to do it. Homemade caramel would also be so yummy in this recipe :-).
Comments are closed.