Hummus is one of my favorite snacks in the world with pita chips. I normally can’t stand raw veggies but I’ll even eat those with some good hummus! I also grew up with lots of amazing baba ganoush from my Nana Jeanie and my mom. Baba ganoush is basically eggplant pureed into an incredibly silky and flavorful dip. So I decided to do a mash-up of the two dips with seriously delectable results. Best of all it was so simple to make!
Once the eggplant was roasted and cooled a bit, the rest of the dip came together in minutes. The black beans gave it a lot of heft and extra flavor. Lime zest, lime juice and cilantro were a natural fit with the black beans and gave it so much freshness. I spiced up the roasted eggplant black bean dip with smoked paprika, dried onion, chili powder and cumin to give it a kick without making it spicy. All of that was just pureed together in my food processor! It could not have been easier.
This roasted eggplant black bean dip is the most delicious hybrid of baba ganoush and hummus! So perfect as a healthy snack.
- 1wholeeggplantpeeled and diced
- saltas needed
- olive oilas needed
- 1can black beansdrained, 15 ounce size
- 1wholelimezested and juiced
- 1/3cupfresh cilantro
- 1/2teaspoonsmoked paprika
- 1/2teaspoondried onion
- 1/4teaspoonchili powder
- First, roast the eggplant. Pre-heat the oven to 375 and line a sheet tray with a silicone mat or aluminum foil. Lay the eggplant out in a single layer on the tray and drizzle it generously with olive oil. Then sprinkle it well with salt and toss it all to coat. Roast the eggplant for 30 minutes to get it tender and deeply flavorful. While it roasts prep the remaining ingredients and set up a food processor. When it is done, take it out to cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the eggplant, black beans, garlic, lime zest, lime juice, cilantro, smoked paprika, dried onion, cumin, chili powder and a teaspoon of olive oil into the bowl of the food processor. Run it until it is a smooth, luscious dip. Transfer it to a pretty bowl and sprinkle additional cilantro on top. Serve it with crackers, pita chips or veggies for an amazing, healthy snack!