It is such a beautiful Fall weekend here and it is making me so happy! I knew I wanted something different for brunch this weekend instead of pancakes or eggs, and it also had to have pumpkin in it. So I came up with these absolutely sensational baked pumpkin french toast sandwiches that have the most luscious mascarpone cheese filling! I put it all together last night and then just had to bake it this morning without any fuss or mess. I LOVE brunches that I can put together the night before so I can just put it in the oven in the morning.
The casserole pan got covered and put into the refrigerator overnight to let the bread absorb all of the incredible flavors and most of the liquid. Then in the morning I just put the pan in to bake for about 45 to 50 minutes, until the bread was golden and slightly crispy and the eggs were set. When it was done I took it out and let it cool for a couple of minutes before I cut out each sandwich to plate them. Then I just dusted each sandwich with powdered sugar and served them! Oh my goodness, the smell alone was making me so happy. Then I took a bite and the bread was so gorgeously custardy and flavorful. The inside was incredibly gooey and delightful. It was really the perfect fall brunch! Hope you all love them too. xoxo
- 12 slices thick, sweet bread like pumpkin bread or cinnamon swirl
- 1 1/4 cups mascarpone cheese softened to room temperature
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup milk
- 1 jar pumpkin butter 9 oz size
- 8 whole eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- powdered sugar as needed for dusting
- Liberally spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray. Lay out 6 of the slices of the bread in an even bottom layer in the pan. In a bowl, stir together the softened mascarpone cheese, balsamic vinegar, vanilla and pumpkin pie spice. Evenly distribute the mascarpone mixture onto each slice of bread and smooth it out. Finish each sandwich with another slice of bread on top.
- In a mixing bowl thoroughly whisk together the milk, pumpkin butter, eggs, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour the custard all over the sandwiches and make sure they get pretty submerged by gently pressing the sandwiches down. Cover the baking pan and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning, pre-heat the oven to 350F. Get the pan of custardy sandwiches into the oven to bake for 45-50 minutes, until the bread is golden and crisp on the edges and the egg mixture is set. Take it out and let it cool for a couple of minutes.
- Cut out and plate each sandwich with all of that gorgeous custard on it with the super gooey and creamy middle. Dust the top of each sandwich with powdered sugar and serve!