I am so ready for spring. It’s right around the corner and I hope mother nature gets the memo after the storm we just had. The warmer weather, fresh flowers and gorgeous spring veggies cannot come soon enough. I decided to start it early this weekend with these fresh and fluffy lemon poppy seed pancakes! It’s one of my favorite combinations in muffins, so I thought it would be incredible in pancakes too. Oh my goodness, I love it when I am right. Ha!
Oh my goodness, these babies had everything I was looking for to kick off spring. They were airy and fresh with fantastic flavor. That warm syrup complimented them so perfectly. Honey is so good with lemon! It was such an easy and wonderful brunch that really brightened the weekend. Hope you all enjoy it! xoxo
These lemon poppy seed pancakes are so fluffy and incredible for breakfast or brunch! The warm lemon honey syrup sends them way over the top.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 whole lemon zested
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 3 whole lemons juiced
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 whole eggs yolks separated from whites
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 a lemon thinly sliced
- First, prepare the batter at least 30 minutes ahead of time or up to overnight. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest together in a large bowl and whisk it all together. In another bowl, whisk the milk, lemon juice, lemon extract and egg yolks together until smooth. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk it all together until it becomes a thick, smooth batter. Take the egg whites and use a hand mixer or stand mixer to whip them up into stiff peaks. Use a spatula to fold the egg whites and poppy seeds into the rest of the batter. Let it sit in the refrigerator to rest for at least 30 minutes. This lets the gluten in the flour relax.
- Once the batter is done resting, heat an electric griddle to 350 or heat up a griddle pan on the stove over medium high heat. Grease the griddle with a little butter, then cook the pancakes in batches. They take about 4 minutes per side to become fluffy and golden. While the pancakes cook, combine the maple syrup, honey and lemon slices in a saucepan on the stove. Heat it up over medium heat and let it gently start to bubble, then turn the heat to the lowest setting to keep it warm. Serve the pancakes immediately as you make them with a generous scoop of the syrup and a lemon slice on top! Enjoy!