Roasted chicken has been getting a lot of attention lately because of the revelation that Meghan Markle and Prince Harry were cooking it together when he proposed. It was even Ina Garten’s famous recipe, which she always called her “engagement” chicken. She wasn’t kidding! Personally, I think a proposal on a cozy night in over a delicious, comforting roasted chicken is endlessly sweet and romantic. So in honor of the royal engagement, I decided to make my own twist on Ina’s engagement chicken. This curried roasted chicken with lots of veggies is simple, comforting, and so incredibly flavorful for the colder months. Best of all, it’s a one pan wonder for easy clean-up!
Oh my goodness, this was the perfect dish for a snug night in with Marc. He already proposed years ago, but he joked that this made him want to propose all over again. Ha! I hope you all love it too. xoxo
This recipe for curried roasted chicken and vegetables is so simple and comforting. It's perfect for a cozy dinner in or even fancy entertaining!
- 7wholecarrotspeeled and cut into rounds
- 6wholeyukon gold potatoesdiced into small wedges
- olive oilas needed
- saltas needed
- freshly cracked black pepperas needed
- 1pinchgarlic powder
- 1pinchyellow curry powder
- 1wholeonionthinly sliced
- 1wholechicken4 pounds
- 1head garlictop cut off to reveal cloves
- 1whole lemonhalved
- 3sprigsfresh thyme
- 2pinches salt
- 2pinchesfreshly cracked black pepper
- 2teaspoonsyellow curry powder
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 and get out a large roasting pan. Add the carrots and potatoes into the pan and drizzle them generously with olive oil. Sprinkle them with a couple of generous pinches of salt and pepper, along with the pinch of garlic powder and pinch of curry powder. Toss all of that together well to coat the vegetables, then make it all a single layer in the pan. Add the thinly sliced onion as the next layer. Then it's time to dress up the chicken. Remove the giblets from the chicken and rinse it thoroughly inside and out. Dry it well with paper towel, then place it on top of the vegetables in the pan.
- Put the garlic head, half of the lemon and the thyme inside the cavity for lots of flavor. Season the chicken with the salt and pepper next. Then stir the melted butter, curry powder and the juice from the remaining half of lemon together in a bowl and brush it liberally all over the chicken. Tie the legs together tightly with kitchen twine, then roast everything for an hour and a half. When it is done, cut the twine and remove the chicken to a board to rest for a couple of minutes before you carve it. Serve it immediately with the vegetables for an amazing one pan meal. It also makes great leftovers.