Roasted chicken has been getting a lot of attention lately because of the revelation that Meghan Markle and Prince Harry were cooking it together when he proposed. It was even Ina Garten’s famous recipe, which she always called her “engagement” chicken. She wasn’t kidding! Personally, I think a proposal on a cozy night in over a delicious, comforting roasted chicken is endlessly sweet and romantic. So in honor of the royal engagement, I decided to make my own twist on Ina’s engagement chicken. This curried roasted chicken with lots of veggies is simple, comforting, and so incredibly flavorful for the colder months. Best of all, it’s a one pan wonder for easy clean-up!
Oh my goodness, this was the perfect dish for a snug night in with Marc. He already proposed years ago, but he joked that this made him want to propose all over again. Ha! I hope you all love it too. xoxo
This recipe for curried roasted chicken and vegetables is so simple and comforting. It's perfect for a cozy dinner in or even fancy entertaining!
- 7 whole carrots peeled and cut into rounds
- 6 whole yukon gold potatoes diced into small wedges
- olive oil as needed
- salt as needed
- freshly cracked black pepper as needed
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- 1 pinch yellow curry powder
- 1 whole onion thinly sliced
- 1 whole chicken 4 pounds
- 1 head garlic top cut off to reveal cloves
- 1 whole lemon halved
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 pinches salt
- 2 pinches freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 teaspoons yellow curry powder
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 and get out a large roasting pan. Add the carrots and potatoes into the pan and drizzle them generously with olive oil. Sprinkle them with a couple of generous pinches of salt and pepper, along with the pinch of garlic powder and pinch of curry powder. Toss all of that together well to coat the vegetables, then make it all a single layer in the pan. Add the thinly sliced onion as the next layer. Then it's time to dress up the chicken. Remove the giblets from the chicken and rinse it thoroughly inside and out. Dry it well with paper towel, then place it on top of the vegetables in the pan.
- Put the garlic head, half of the lemon and the thyme inside the cavity for lots of flavor. Season the chicken with the salt and pepper next. Then stir the melted butter, curry powder and the juice from the remaining half of lemon together in a bowl and brush it liberally all over the chicken. Tie the legs together tightly with kitchen twine, then roast everything for an hour and a half. When it is done, cut the twine and remove the chicken to a board to rest for a couple of minutes before you carve it. Serve it immediately with the vegetables for an amazing one pan meal. It also makes great leftovers.
23 thoughts on “Curried Roasted Chicken and Vegetables”
Such a great spin on regular chicken and warm for winter!
It really does warm you up in the cold with the spice. Thanks so much for stopping by!! 🙂
Yummy! I love roasted chicken and the great meals you can create with the leftovers. I never thought to use curry, so I will have to try this the next time.
Thank you so much!! The leftovers are definitely the best, I like to make chicken salad from it. I hope you enjoy it :-).
mmmm this is something i need in my life!
Definitely! Enjoy it, thanks for stopping by :-).
YUM! What a clover spin off roasted chicken- I will have to tuck this away to try for sure! And what a sweet compliment from the hubby! I’m so sensitive I’d probably start crying lol!
Thank you so much, I hope you love it! The curry powder really makes it into something special.
This looks and sounds AMAZING! Saving this for a fun winter night so I can impress my hubby with my skills 🙂 Thank you so much for sharing!
Oh this will be sure to impress your hubby!! Thanks for stopping by, I hope you and he love this recipe :-).
This looks so yummy! I love the idea of making it a little spicier to clear the sinuses and warm you during the winter!
Exactly! It’s so comforting. Thanks so much for stopping by :-).
This looks amazing and perfect for Easter!! I love chicken!!
Thank you so much!!
Oh gosh this looks amazing! I used to get intimidated when I had to use a whole chicken (I’m not the greatest cook) but it’s so simple to make!
It really is!! Thanks very much for the kind comment :-).
Beautiful chicken! I’ll have to try this recipe next time. That curry powder really gives the chicken a lovely color.
Thank you so much!!
Wow, this looks so hearty and good! Perfect for a dinner party too!
Thank you so much!!
This sounds amazing! I really love a good roast chicken, especially one with a nice flavorful, cripsy skin – and nothing is better than a one pot meal with minimal clearing up! I’m English and we make a roast dinner every Sunday, so I definitely think we’ll be adding this to our list of roasts to try!
Oh wonderful, I love the idea of a roast every Sunday!! I hope you enjoy the recipe, thanks so much for the kind comment :-).
This was so delicious! I made my own curry mix. My family loved it, it’s definitely a keeper and will be in regular rotation. Yummy!
Comments are closed.