My wonderful father-in-law Steve (affectionately known to his kids as Padre) is 72 today! I really love him and it was so great gaining him as another father when I married Marc. He is a man who absolutely loves anything coconut flavored, so in honor of his birthday I whipped up these adorable little coconut mini muffins. Marc and I had a lot of fun surprising him with them and celebrating.
Once they were cooled enough, they were ready to pack up to take to my father-in-law! Obviously this was after I tried one or three and took about a million photos. Happy Birthday to an absolutely wonderful, lovable man and father! I sure have been lucky to become his daughter-in-law.
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted and slightly cooled
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 1/4 cups shredded coconut
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 and line 30 mini muffin wells with paper liners. In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the almond milk, coconut oil, eggs and coconut extract. Pour those wet ingredients into the big bowl of dry ingredients and gently whisk it together just until combined. It's ok for it to be lumpy. Switch to a rubber spatula and fold in the shredded coconut.
- Use a heaping tablespoon to evenly distribute the batter among the 30 lined mini muffin wells. Transfer the mini muffin trays to the oven to bake for 15 minutes. They should be puffy and golden. Insert a toothpick in the center of one and make sure it comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool in the muffin trays for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a platter lined with paper towel to blot the bottoms. The coconut oil can seep into the paper liners, so this will blot them. It actually helps in getting the muffins out more easily!
- Once they are blotted and cooled enough, just serve immediately. These are a bite of the tropics in a cute little muffin package!