There are so many times when I am browsing the internet and come across delicious recipe inspiration. The idea for these cheesy sausage crescent bites came directly from the good folks at Pampered Chef. They looked so mouth-watering that I had to make them! I kept the same concept but played around with the recipe for the filling.
Then the cheesy sausage crescent bites were ready to serve! They can be cut into any size needed. What I loved so much about this recipe is how versatile it was. It can be made for brunch, a party, or a simple dinner. Little squares are a perfect appetizer bite, but they can also be cut big for a substantial meal. Best of all, it was such a cinch to put together. My kind of dish!
Cheesy Sausage Crescent Bites
Course: Appetizer, Main Course
Servings: 16 bites
- 1 dash olive oil
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 1 whole red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper
- 1 dash worcestershire sauce
- 1 pinch dried onion
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons bacon cream cheese
- 2 cans crescent rolls
- In a cast iron skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Brown the sausage for about 5 minutes. Add the red bell pepper, salt, crushed red pepper, dried onion and Worcestershire sauce. Let them meld in for another 2 minutes. Take the pan off of the heat and stir in the cheddar cheese and bacon cream cheese. They will melt right in to finish the amazing filling!
- While the sausage cooks, pre-heat the oven to 350 and get out a 9 x 13 baking dish. Unroll the first can of crescent rolls to line the bottom of the dish. Press them together to make sure there aren't any cracks. Let the bottom layer bake for 6-8 minutes in the oven to start to crisp up. Take it out but keep the oven on. Spoon the sausage mixture on top of the crescent roll layer, using a slotted spoon to leave most of the grease behind. Unroll the second can of crescent rolls on top of the sausage mixture, then get the tray into the oven again to bake for 20 minutes.
- Take the tray out and let it cool for a couple of minutes. Then just serve immediately! This can be cut into 16 small squares for a cute party bite, or cut into larger portions for a big, substantial sandwich. Enjoy!