When I was working on this recipe, I realized that I’ve done a lot of broccoli cheddar recipes. I’ve already made broccoli cheddar soup, baked broccoli tots, chicken, broccoli and cheddar risotto, and my curried chicken, broccoli and cheddar casserole. It’s one of my absolute favorite combinations in the world since I was a kid. I refused to eat my broccoli if it wasn’t smothered in cheddar! This week I took my love for it to the next level. I’ve talked a lot about how much I adore any kind of pancake. It is kind of how Leslie Knope from Parks and Rec feels about her waffles. So two of my favorites combined in these incredible broccoli cheddar griddle cake sandwiches. They were also super simple to make.
Oh my goodness, these broccoli cheddar griddle cake sandwiches were such an amazing, healthy lunch! I loved using the cakes as the sandwich bread for a low carb option. It was also so much fun to combine two of my favorite food things into one dish! I hope you all love these as much as I did. xoxo
These broccoli cheddar griddle cake sandwiches are such an amazing, lean meal! The cakes are easy to make with turkey, avocado and mustard in the middle.
- 1 head broccoli
- olive oil as needed
- Lawry's seasoned salt as needed
- freshly ground black pepper as needed
- 1 whole onion finely diced
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 dash worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup extra sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter for the griddle
- Dijon mustard as needed
- 8 thin slices deli turkey
- 1 whole avocado pitted, peeled and thinly sliced
- First, prepare the broccoli. Pre-heat the oven to 350. Cut the broccoli into manageable pieces and transfer them to a baking dish. Then drizzle the olive oil generously on the broccoli, as well as big pinches of the seasoned salt and black pepper. Stir it all together well, then roast it for 8-10 minutes. Let it cool for a minute, then transfer the broccoli to a food processor to very finely process it into almost a crumb. Then pour it into a large mixing bowl with the onion, egg, Greek yogurt, flour, a big pinch more of seasoned salt and pepper, Worcestershire, parsley, tarragon, cayenne pepper and cheddar. Set the batter aside.
- Pre-heat an electric griddle to 350 or a griddle pan over medium high heat. Grease the griddle with the butter, then scoop 1/4 cup portions of the batter onto it to cook on the first side. The recipe yielded 8 total with that measurement and I cooked them all at once. Let the pancakes cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until they get slightly brown and cooked through. They can be served as is at this point if you wish as a side, or you can make them into 4 sandwiches total. Smear Dijon on one side of two pancakes, then place two slices of turkey and a couple of avocado slices in the middle. Enjoy for an amazing lunch or light dinner!