I am not a beer person normally. When St. Patrick’s Day rolls around though, I love getting into the spirit of it and having Guinness on hand to cook with, bake with, and of course drink! I’ve always heard people raving about stout brownies using Guinness so that was absolutely the way I wanted to go. This recipe that I devised had amazing and complex flavors with hints of butterscotch and salted caramel to cut through the decadent chocolate. I don’t think I ever want to have a St. Patrick’s day without these boozy stout brownies again!
Boozy Stout Brownies
Guinness enhances the chocolate in these Stout Brownies on an ethereal level with subtle notes of salted caramel and butterscotch to take them over the top!
Keyword: Boozy Stout Brownies, Brownies
Servings: 1 tray
Calories: 326 kcal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces unsweetened bakers chocolate roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup butterscotch chips
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 4 whole eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup salted caramel sugar (can be found in many spice shops or online)
- 1 cup Guinness stout
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 and liberally grease an 11 x 7 brownie pan with shortening. Whisk the flour, cocoa powder and salt together in a bowl. Set it aside. Combine the bakers chocolate, butterscotch chips, butter and heavy cream together in a heat proof bowl. Fill a small pot about halfway with water and bring it to a low simmer over medium heat. Set the heat proof bowl of goodies over the simmering water and let it all melt together, stirring with a heat proof rubber spatula. Once it is smooth and shiny, take the mixture off of the heat and set it aside.
- Set up a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Combine the eggs and two sugars in its bowl and beat them together until creamy and fluffy. Pour in the melted chocolate and butterscotch mixture next and let get completely mixed in. Then add the Guinness. Lastly, turn the speed to low and slowly pour in the dry ingredients just until you have a smooth batter form.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and smooth it out with a spatula. Sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly across the top, letting them sink in. Bake the brownies for about 45 minutes, then let them cool completely. Cut into the desired size squares and serve!
Boozy Stout Brownies
Amount Per Serving (1 serving)
Calories 326 Calories from Fat 188
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 12.9g81%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.