A little while back, Marc and I went out for a date night at Bonefish Grill since a location had just opened near us. We had to try it out! It turned out to be such a blast with incredible food. We just ate at the bar and chatted with the awesome bartender there (who, by the way, made me the most delicious cosmo I’ve ever had). My dinner was their famous bang bang shrimp tacos and oh goodness was I a happy woman. I loved it so much that I made my own version for dinner and it was a huge hit! The succulent shrimp was combined with my version of bang bang sauce and a fresh Asian inspired slaw on a soft, warm tortilla. Best of all, it was really quick and easy to put together! Perfect for a busy weeknight!
This recipe yielded enough to make 8 tacos, so it’s perfect to feed 4. Let me tell you, I felt like I was back at that amazing date night at Bonefish Grill. They were so full of flavor and were definitely a huge hit with hubby!
Inspired by a wonderful date night at Bonefish Grill, these Bang Bang Shrimp Tacos are my version of one of their famous signature dishes!
- 1 red onion peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 whole cucumber peeled and grated on the largest holes of the box grater
- 1 whole carrot peeled and grated on the largest holes of the box grater
- 1 whole lime zested and juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 whole egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Sriracha
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 pounds large shrimp peeled and deveined with the tails removed
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch chili powder
- 8 whole soft taco shells
- First, prepare the Asian slaw. Combine the sliced red onion, grated carrot, grated cucumber, salt, lime juice, lime zest and soy sauce. Stir them together thoroughly and set it aside. Let the flavors all marinate together and marry while you prepare the sauce and shrimp.
- Now, my version of bang bang sauce is basically a glorified Asian mayo. Wrap the bottom of a mixing bowl in a cold, wet towel. This is going to help the sauce emulsify together. In that bowl combine the egg yolk, vinegar, salt, Chinese five spice, Dijon and Sriracha. Whisk it all together thoroughly. While you are still whisking, slowly pour all of the oil in and let it emulsify together into a gorgeous mayo sauce.
- The last component to prepare is the shrimp. Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook the shrimp in the oil just until they are pink and opaque on both sides. It should take about 4-5 minutes. While they cook, season them with the salt and chili powder. Take the pan off of the heat.
- Assemble the tacos by warming the tortillas for 10-15 seconds on a plate in the microwave. Fill each taco with 5-6 shrimp, then spoon a couple of spoonfuls of bang bang sauce over the hot shrimp. Top them with a nice big scoop of the Asian slaw. Serve them immediately and enjoy!