I will never out grow grilled cheese. It’s my favorite lunch in the world with a soup or salad, especially in cooler weather. I just make it more adult like with slightly more sophisticated fillings! This time around it was a Fall inspired take with an amazing apple, cheddar and bacon grilled cheese. Since I was only making this sandwich for myself, I didn’t feel like having to dirty a frying pan. I cheated and cooked the bacon in the microwave for three minutes! If I was making more than one though, the frying pan would have been the way to go. That way I could have cooked lots of bacon at once.
I loved how the sweet apple, salty bacon and creamy cheddar complimented each other so perfectly. It was sandwich heaven! Best of all, it came together quickly for an easy lunch. This simple grilled cheese was truly the ultimate in fall comfort! xoxo
An apple cheddar bacon grilled cheese sandwich is the ultimate in Fall comfort! Serve it with a salad or soup for a simple and fast lunch or dinner.
- 2 slices thick cut bacon
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 1/2 an apple core removed and thinly sliced
- 2 slices extra sharp cheddar cheese deli cut about the size of the bread
- 1 tablespoon butter for greasing the griddle
- To make it faster, cook the bacon in the microwave. Line a plate with paper towel and place the two bacon slices on it. Put another paper towel on top of the bacon and microwave it for about 3 minutes. Set it aside. Cooking it in a frying pan would also work and would be easier if making more than one sandwich.
- Pre-heat an electric non-stick griddle to 300 degrees or a non-stick griddle pan over medium high heat. Assemble the sandwich by layering one slice of the cheddar, then the sliced apple, the bacon next, and then last slice of the cheddar. Close it with the second slice of bread. Grease the griddle liberally with the butter and brown the sandwich on the first side for two minutes or so. Press it down as it cooks so that it adheres together. Flip it over to brown on the other side for another two minutes or so. Cut in half and serve immediately!