I’ve talked a lot about how important breakfast and brunch are in this house. When the lazy days of summer are over though, there is definitely not a lot of time for it during the week. So I decided to work on a recipe for the perfect fall grab and go breakfast. These apple almond energy bars were very simple to make and had so much gorgeous, warm spice!
I tried one of these babies for a snack and I was one happy woman. They were chewy, flavorful and so satisfying. I also loved that they were packed with good, healthy ingredients to fuel me for the day. The best part was that I made these quickly over the weekend and had breakfast for the whole week! They also do really make an awesome mid afternoon or midnight snack. Hope you all love them! xoxo
These apple almond energy bars are truly the perfect grab and go breakfast or snack. They're so simple to make, and are also vegan and gluten free!
- 2 cups gluten free rolled oats
- 1 cup plain almonds
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- 2 whole apples cored and diced
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 350. Line a sheet tray and spread the oats and almonds out on it in a single layer. Toast them in the oven for 5-10 minutes, until they get really fragrant. Take the tray out but leave the oven on when they're done. Let them cool for a couple of minutes, then set up a food processor. Combine the oats and almonds in the processor bowl with the raisins, diced apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Pulse it all together thoroughly until it is a sticky, uniform mixture.
- Get out an 8 x 8 baking dish and line it with parchment paper. Make sure there is enough to have flaps hanging over the sides, which makes lifting the bars out of the pan a cinch. Use a spatula to spread the mixture into a perfect, even layer in the pan. Fold the flaps of parchment paper over the mixture and press it out on the parchment paper so that it isn't too sticky. Bake the mixture for 20 minutes, then take it out and let it cool for 10-15 minutes. Slice the mixture into bars by making 3 equal vertical slices, then making a horizontal cut halfway down. Let them cool completely, then store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Enjoy!