The start of October meant that I cracked open my first of probably many cans of pumpkin puree this season. I skipped the pie though and went for something savory and satisfying. This pumpkin sausage rigatoni was just the ticket for a flavorful and comforting dinner this week. Best of all it was so simple and quick to make!
Oh my goodness, this dish was pure autumn in pasta form. The sauce was so creamy from the pumpkin puree and almond milk. The flavorful sausage cut right through it with the tender rigatoni absorbing it all. I loved how it combined my obsessions with both pasta and anything pumpkin. It was fantastic comfort food on these dreary, rainy nights here. Hope you all enjoy this simple, amazing dinner!
This pumpkin sausage rigatoni is such an amazing, flavorful fall inspired pasta dinner. It also comes together easily in 30 minutes!
- 1 dash olive oil
- 1 whole onion diced small
- 1/4 cup fresh sage finely chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 1 pound ground sweet Italian sausage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper
- 1 can pumpkin puree 29 ounce size
- 1 cup apple cider
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 pound rigatoni
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet with deep sides over medium high heat. Add the onion and sage and let them get fragrant for a minute. Then brown the sausage with the onion and sage, breaking it up as it cooks. Season the mixture with the salt, pumpkin pie spice and crushed red pepper as it cooks too. Then pour in the pumpkin puree, apple cider and milk. Give the sauce a good stir and let it come to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat to low and let it all simmer together for 15 minutes.
- While the sauce cooks, get a large pot of water on the stove and bring it to a boil. Salt it generously, then cook the rigatoni in it just until tender for about 8-10 minutes. The sauce should be ready by this point. Drain the pasta and transfer it to the sauce. Toss it all together well and take the pan off of the heat. Scoop the pasta into bowls and serve immediately with extra fresh sage on top for garnish!