So Marc and I are trying a new thing. We are trying to drastically reduce the amount of beef and pork we eat. You all know that I use sausage a LOT and also love me some bacon. It’s time though to really trim out things that are not necessarily great for our health as we get toward our 40’s. It will still pop up from time to time, and there will still be decadent desserts from scratch so don’t worry. Here’s hoping we see some good results from this experiment and can stick to it well. With all of that in mind, I made the most amazing little Moroccan chicken burgers this week. They were really simple and so scrumptious!
Oh my goodness, I did not miss the beef at all in these burgers! They were so juicy and flavorful, with the creamy hummus giving it amazing texture. Let’s see how much we can keep this up, for our health and our waistlines. I hope you all enjoy these burgers as much as we did! xoxo
These Moroccan chicken burgers are so juicy and loaded with fragrant spices that you'll never miss the beef! They're topped with hummus and spinach for an incredible bite.
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Ras el hanout spice blend
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1/2 teaspoon dried onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 whole hamburger buns
- salted butter for the buns
- roasted red pepper hummus as needed for topping, either store bought or homemade
- baby spinach as needed for topping
- Combine the ground chicken, cilantro, Dijon, Ras el hanout, saffron, dried onion, and garlic powder in a large bowl and mix it all together thoroughly with clean hands. Press it into a single, even layer, then score it in half both vertically and horizontally to make four equal quarter pound portions. Heat an electric griddle to 400 or a griddle pan over medium high heat. Form the four equal portions into patties and sear them for 5-6 minutes on each side to cook them completely.
- While they cook, toast the hamburger buns. Butter them once they're done and place a cooked chicken burger on each bottom. Top the patties with a heaping spoonful of the hummus and a small handful of baby spinach. Serve them immediately with your favorite side!