Chicken can become boring really quickly. So I’m always looking for fun and flavorful new ways to prepare it. When I was little, my Nana Lulu made the most incredible fried chicken cutlets and they are still a simple family staple. This week I wanted to change them up a little and add more flavor. Inspiration hit when I spied a big bag of unopened shredded coconut in my pantry. I took my Nana’s cutlets and kicked them up with the sweet coconut and spicy yellow curry for a great combination. Best of all, the coconut curry fried chicken cutlets were easy to make!
Then I just served the chicken immediately with our favorite sides for a complete meal! Oh my goodness, I loved how crispy and flavorful these babies were. The sweet coconut perfectly complimented the spicy curry powder. It was such a fun twist on my Nana’s classic staple too! I hope you all love it as much as we did. xoxo
This is such a wonderful and simple recipe for coconut curry fried chicken cutlets! It's loaded with flavor for a different take on chicken dinner.
- 4 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- 1 teaspoon Lawry's seasoned salt
- 1 pinch freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry powder
- canola oil for frying
- First, pound out the chicken breasts with either a meat mallet or rolling pin a little to be larger, thinner cutlets. It makes it easier for them to cook through. Then set up the breading line. Combine the flour, teaspoon of curry powder, seasoned salt and cracked black pepper in the first bowl. Stir them together. Then whisk the egg, milk and coconut extract together in a second bowl. Finally, stir the shredded coconut, seasoned breadcrumbs, and tablespoon of yellow curry powder together in a third bowl. Place a plate on the end to hold the breaded chicken.
- Get a large, deep skillet on the stove and fill it with about 2 inches of canola oil. Heat it up over medium high heat. While it heats up, bread each of the chicken cutlets. First, dredge them through the flour mixture. Then use the other hand to dip them in the egg mixture. Finally, switch back to the first hand to coat them in the coconut mixture. When all four are breaded, get them into the hot oil to fry for 4-5 minutes on each side. If all 4 don't fit in the pan, fry them in two batches. When they are done, transfer them to a plate lined with paper towel to blot them. Serve immediately with your favorite sides!