Things have been especially busy around here lately. I haven’t had all that much time to prepare elaborate dinners and make everything from scratch. When it gets like that, chicken is my go to meal. I always have some in the freezer and my pantry stocked to make something yummy. That’s what it was all about when I made chicken cutlets smothered in an amazing and easy tomato caper sauce. I already had everything on hand!
I nestled the chicken back into the sauce for 15 minutes so that everything melded together. The chicken absorbed the flavor of the sauce, and the sauce absorbed the flavor of the chicken. It was a beautiful relationship to watch! I served the chicken cutlets smothered in the sauce with rice and a quick side salad. Oh my goodness it was the perfect complete meal! The chicken and sauce could not have been easier or more flavorful. The cutlets were so tender and had great texture from the flour mixture. Best of all I had it on the table pretty quickly so that we could be on our way! I hope you all enjoy this great addition to the chicken dinner arsenal. xoxo
Simple chicken cutlets become extraordinary when they are smothered in super flavorful tomato caper sauce! It's an easy, satisfying chicken dinner.
- olive oil as needed for pan frying
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 4 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts pounded out thin
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can crushed tomatoes 28 ounce size
- 1 jar capers 3 fluid ounce size, using the liquid too
- 1 tablespoon chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil coarsely chopped
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper
- Take a large skillet with deep sides and fill it with just enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Heat the oil over medium high heat. While the oil heats up, whisk the flour, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper together in a bowl. Dredge each of the chicken cutlets through the flour mixture to coat them, and then get them into the oil to brown for about 2-3 minutes on each side. They do not necessarily need to be fully cooked through at this point, just browned. Remove them to a plate and set them aside.
- Add the garlic to the pan and let it get fragrant for about 30 seconds. Then add the crushed tomatoes, capers, chicken stock, basil and crushed red pepper. Let the sauce simmer for 5 minutes. Then add the chicken back in and let the sauce and chicken simmer together for another 15 minutes. Take the pan off of the heat and serve the chicken immediately with lots of sauce on top. Rice on the side and salad make it an amazing complete meal!