I actually am usually not one for spicy food. That changes when the weather gets colder though! I love the way the spice warms my body and comforts my soul. So when it comes to spicy peppers I always turn to the wonderful jalapeno since they are still fairly mild and pair well with so many flavors. This weekend I used them in amazing cheddar jalapeno corn muffins for a great breakfast treat! They were so simple to make too.
When I tried one my taste buds went nuts. The jalapeno made them have heat without being assertive. The cornmeal and cheddar cheese gave them so much substance and texture. The best part was that they worked any time of day. I had them for breakfast with a strong cup of coffee, and then I had them on the side of chili for dinner! The leftovers kept well in a sealed container for two days. I hope you all enjoy this warm and satisfying treat! xoxo
These cheddar jalapeño corn muffins are so hearty and savory as either a breakfast or side dish! They're simple to make and warm the soul.
- 1 1/2cupsall-purpose flour
- 1cupmedium ground corn meal
- 1tablespoonbaking powder
- 1/4teaspoonbaking soda
- 1/4teaspoonsmoked paprika
- 2sticksunsalted buttermelted and cooled
- 1 1/4cupsmilk
- 2wholejalapeno peppersseeded and finely diced
- 1cupextra sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 and line a 12 well muffin pan with paper liners. Then combine the flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, smoked paprika and salt together in a large mixing bowl. Whisk them together thoroughly to aerate them. Combine the cooled melted butter, milk, and eggs together in another bowl and whisk them together thoroughly. Pour those wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and whisk it all together into a smooth, thick batter. Switch to a rubber spatula and fold in the diced jalapeno and cheddar cheese.
- Scoop the batter into the lined muffin wells, filling each one to the top. Bake them for 20 minutes to let them get puffy, golden and completely baked through. Let them cool for 10-15 minutes, then serve them immediately! They will also keep for a day or two sealed in an airtight container for yummy leftovers.