I already talked about how biscuits are one of my biggest weaknesses when I wrote my buttery rosemary garlic biscuit recipe. The weakness grows even bigger when sausage gravy gets involved too. To give you some background, my mom was born on an air force base in Dothan, Alabama. She also spent a lot of time in Atlanta when my Nana and Papa lived there. So there is definitely a southern influence that goes through my family’s cooking sometimes. That’s why my version of cheddar chive biscuits smothered in sausage gravy felt like some pure, down home love! It was simple to make.
The timing was perfect because the cheddar chive biscuits finished cooking at the same time as the sausage gravy. I plated two of the biscuits and smothered them in the gravy for my breakfast. Oh my goodness, I was one happy woman! The biscuits were airy, flaky and so flavorful from the cheddar and chives. The gravy was rich and hearty from the sausage. This is one of my all time favorite breakfasts and it was a blast to make it at home. Hope you all enjoy this southern classic! xoxo
There is really nothing like a down home southern classic. These fluffy cheddar chive biscuits with creamy sausage gravy is pure comfort!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 whole chives
- 2 tablespoons extra sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 stick cold butter cubed
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 dash olive oil
- 1/2 pound ground breakfast sausage
- 1 pinch hickory smoked sea salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- First, make the biscuits. Pre-heat the oven to 350 and line a sheet tray with a silicone mat. Then set up a food processor and combine the flour, baking powder, chives, cheddar and salt together in its bowl. Pulse it together a few times to thoroughly combine it all. Add the butter next and pulse it all a few more times until it looks pebbly. Finally, add the buttermilk and pulse it until it comes together into a sticky dough. Turn the dough out onto a well floured, clean surface and bring it together into a ball. Press the ball out into a 1 inch high disc with floured hands. Then use a floured 3 inch biscuit cutter to cut out 4 biscuits. Bring the scraps together and press them out again to cut out two more. Line them up on the sheet tray and bake them for 15-20 minutes.
- While the biscuits bake, make the sausage gravy. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Brown the ground sausage in it while you break it up. While it cooks, season it with the hickory smoked sea salt. Once the sausage is cooked through, add the flour and let it cook off for a minute or two. Then pour in the milk and keep stirring while the mixture bubbles and thickens for 4-5 minutes. Once it is a gorgeous, thick gravy, take it off of the heat. The biscuits should be done at this point too. Serve them immediately smothered in the gravy and enjoy!
11 thoughts on “Cheddar Chive Biscuits with Sausage Gravy”
Breakfast sausage-gravy is my favorite, over warm homemade biscuits it’s the best!!
I never had my sausage gravy with cheddar chive biscuits, just lovely buttermilk biscuits.
This recipe is definitely going on my ‘must-make’ list.
You are so welcome Dalila!! Hope you love the recipe :-).
This looks fantastic and reminds me of breakfast made by my grandma.
Thank you so much!! It’s one that my mom would make too. I love recipes that bring up family memories!
Ummm, you are speaking my love language!
Yum! This reminds me of the biscuits and gravy my mom always made when I was young!
Thank you so much!! I loved it when my mom would make this too 🙂
This looks like the perfect Sunday morning breakfast! The biscuits look perfect ant the gravy sounds so good! I can’t wait to try it 🙂
Oh thank you very much!! I hope you love it 🙂
Ohhh… I was just thinking about how I needed to find a recipe for chive biscuits as mine are finally ready to start using again! These look amazing!
Yes, it’s so exciting to be able to use fresh herbs from the garden again after the long winter! Hope you love the recipe!! 🙂
Comments are closed.