Ahhh, that’s it now friends! My Holiday baking is complete and I think I may have saved the best for last. I probably say that because this cookie is the first I have done with chocolate this season. My chocoholic gene is strong! These brown butter chocolate chunk cookies are basic chocolate chip cookies with the volume turned up to 11. The dough came together easily!
After they completely cooled, I packed up the brown butter chocolate chunk cookies in airtight containers. They were ready for giving! It felt really good to finish up my baking, let me tell you. I also just finished getting my Christmas cards out and bought the last present I needed yesterday. Phew! I am starting to feel like I’m on top of things for next week. xoxo
These incredible brown butter chocolate chunk cookies are like the classic chocolate chip cookies amped up a few notches!
- 2 sticks butter
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 whole eggs
- 12 ounces semi-sweet bakers chocolate roughly chopped into chunks
- First, prepare the brown butter. Get the butter into a sauce pan and heat it over medium to medium high heat. Let it melt and gently cook while you swirl it around just until it starts to become a deep golden brown color. Take it off the heat and set it aside to cool. While it cools, pre-heat the oven to 375 and line 4 cookie sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper.
- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl and whisk them together to aerate them. Set the bowl aside. Then combine the two sugars and the cooled brown butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Cream them together until fluffy and thoroughly combined. Add in the vanilla, followed by each egg one at a time until they are mixed in. Turn the speed to low and slowly add in the dry ingredients just until it is combined in and a soft cookie dough forms. Turn off the mixer and switch to a rubber spatula to fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Use a 1.5 inch cookie scoop to scoop perfect dollops of dough onto the lined cookie sheets. Be sure they are spread out evenly with no more than a dozen per sheet. Using that measurement, there should be a yield of 45 cookies. Bake the cookies in two batches of two trays each. Bake the first batch for 12 minutes, rotating the two trays halfway through to make sure they bake evenly. When they come out of the oven, let them cool on the sheets for a few minutes before transferring them to cooling racks to finish cooling. Repeat with the second batch.
- When all of the cookies are baked and completely cooled, just pack them in airtight containers to enjoy and give! They will keep for a week or in the airtight containers.