There is something extra fun about making an updated, healthier version of a childhood classic. Tater tots were such a huge favorite of mine growing up and I don’t think I’ve ever really outgrown them. So this week I decided to put a healthier spin on them with these simple, super flavorful baked broccoli tots! Broccoli happens to be my favorite vegetable because it has great texture, mild flavor and is so darn versatile. So using it in this dish was a no brainer to me. They were really easy to make and so much fun!
Oh my goodness, I was transported right back to my childhood when I bit in. The shape alone was so fun. I loved the fact that the baked broccoli tots were much healthier than the classic too. They were loaded with veggies and baked to perfection instead of fried for some guilt free snacking. I also loved serving them as a side dish! Hope you all enjoy. xoxo
These baked broccoli tots are such a fun, flavorful and healthy twist on the old classic tater tots! They're so simple to make too.
- 1 head broccoli
- salt for the boiling water
- 1 whole onion peeled and quartered
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 whole egg
- 2/3 cup medium ground corn meal
- 1/2 cup extra sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon Lawry's seasoned salt
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha or ketchup
- First, blanch the broccoli. Fill a large pot a little over halfway with water and bring it to a boil on the stove. Salt it generously. Set up a bowl of ice water as well. Boil the broccoli head for just about a minute, then remove it right into the ice bath to stop the cooking. Cut the broccoli into manageable pieces, then transfer it to the bowl of a food processor. Also add the onion, garlic, dill and parsley. Pulse the mixture until it is a fine texture, then scoop it into a large mixing bowl. Add the egg, corn meal, cheddar, salt and Sriracha. Mix it all together thoroughly. Put the bowl in the fridge to chill the mixture for 15 minutes.
- While it chills, pre-heat the oven to 400 and line a sheet tray with a silicone mat. Take a small amount of the chilled broccoli mixture about the size of your palm and form it into the classic tot shape. Place it on the sheet tray with one of the flat sides down. Repeat until the mixture is used up and you have about 36 tots. Bake them for 9 minutes, then take them out and turn them over onto the other flat side. Put them back in for another 9 minutes to get them completely cooked through and golden. Let them cool a minute, then serve them with your favorite main course!