Oh my goodness do fall desserts make me happy. The warm spices with all of the seasonal produce like apples and pumpkins is just a magical combination. My apple cider donuts and pumpkin spiced hot cocoa kicked this season off so deliciously, but this week it was time to use the gorgeous fresh apples I had. I put together this incredible apple cheddar pie bread pudding easily using simple ingredients. It was my kind of dessert!
I topped the slices with whipped cream and caramel syrup to finish them up perfectly. Let me tell you, that warm bread pudding with the sweet apples and sharp cheddar was a symphony. The cheddar acted as the glue to hold the apples pretty much in place and kept it all from becoming cloying. It was fall in dessert form and I loved every bite! Hope you all enjoy. xoxo
This apple cheddar bread pudding pie is pure autumn dessert perfection! It's simple to put together and loaded with warmly spiced flavor.
- 1 1/2cupsalmond milk
- 6whole eggs
- 1teaspoonvanilla extract
- 1loafcinnamon swirl bread16 ounce size, cubed small
- 4wholeapplescored and thinly sliced
- 2tablespoonsdark brown sugar
- 1/2cupfreshly grated cheddar cheese
- whipped cream or ice creamfor topping
- caramel syrupfor topping
- First, put together the bread pudding. Combine the milk, eggs, vanilla and cinnamon together in a large mixing bowl and whisk it all together until it is a smooth custard. Stir the cubed cinnamon swirl bread into it so that the bread gets coated in it. Set it aside to soak for 20 minutes. Then start on the filling. Stir the apple slices, brown sugar and cinnamon together in another bowl and let that sit for 15 minutes. The apples will start to soften and absorb the flavor.
- While that all sits, pre-heat the oven to 350 and liberally spray a 9 inch springform cake pan with cooking spray. Spread the bread pudding mixture into an even layer in the bottom of the pan, then sprinkle the cheddar cheese on top of the bread. Spread the apple mixture evenly on top of the cheese, then bake the pie for 45-50 minutes. The apples should be super tender and the bread pudding should be completely set. Let it cool and set for 20 minutes, then release it from the springform pan. Slice and serve with ice cream, whipped cream, and/or caramel sauce on top!