Whenever I get stuck on what to make for a side dish, I always fall back on potatoes. I grew up loving them and so did my proud Polish husband. My mom made the most incredible twice baked potatoes when I was growing up. So I put a big spin on them when I came up with these smokey, flavorful twice baked sweet potatoes! They were so easy to make too.
Let me tell you, when I bit in I was in heaven. There was so much smokey flavor and gorgeous texture going on. The filling was fluffy and creamy, but there was the crisp skin and bacon for crunch. It was the perfect side dish! I hope you all love it. xoxo
These twice baked sweet potatoes are simple to make and so incredible for a side! There is loads of flavor from maple syrup, bacon, cheese and spices.
- 4 whole sweet potatoes scrubbed
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 stick butter softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup maple syrup preferably smoked maple syrup if available
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon hickory smoked sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup milk
- 4 ounces extra sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 and line a sheet tray with a silicone mat or tin foil. Lay the sweet potatoes out on the sheet tray and bake them for 50-60 minutes, until they are soft. While they bake, get out another sheet tray and line it with foil. Fit a cooling rack on the sheet. Lay out the bacon on the rack and get it into the oven to get crisp for 30-35 minutes. Take both trays out and let them cool for 5 minutes. While they cool, get out a large mixing bowl and combine the soft butter, maple syrup, ricotta, smoked paprika, salt, and garlic powder in it.
- Carefully cut the cooled potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out the flesh without breaking the skin. Put the flesh through a potato ricer right into the mixing bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Then pour the milk into a small saucepan and gently heat it up until it starts to bubble over medium heat. Pour the hot milk into the mixing bowl as well and thoroughly stir it all together. Lay the skins back out onto the sheet tray and fill them with mixture to the brim. Sprinkle each potato generously with the cheddar cheese.
- Crumble the crisp bacon and evenly distribute it on top of each potato as well. Bake the potatoes again for another 20 minutes or so, until the skins are more crisp and the filling is bubbly. Serve them immediately on the side of your favorite main course when they are done!
4 thoughts on “Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes”
Such a great idea for an easy-peasy dinner, perfect for the cold weather!
Thank you very much, they really are comfort food! 🙂
Mmmm this sounds so heavenly and filling! I will definitely be trying these soon!!
Oh thank you so much!! I hope you love them.
Comments are closed.