Pulled pork is one of my husband’s favorite dishes. I’m completely fine with that because it is a simple dish to make him happy! I don’t really drink tequila, but I still had quite a bit leftover from when I made my tequila lime truffles for Cinco de Mayo. It was sitting there in our cabinet looking all sad and unused. So my solution was to use some of it up in these incredible tequila lime pulled pork sandwiches! It came together in minutes before cooking low and slow for hours.
Tequila Lime Pulled Pork Sandwiches
6 hrs 20 mins
These tequila lime pulled pork sandwiches are so simple and absolutely loaded with flavor! Avocado and salsa finish them up perfectly.
Course: Main Course
Servings: 10 sandwiches
Calories: 836 kcal
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 whole pork shoulder about 8 pounds
- 1 dash olive oil
- 3 whole limes zested and juiced
- 1/2 cup tequila
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 1 whole onion peeled and thinly sliced
- 10 whole whole grain hamburger buns
- sliced avocado as needed for serving
- salsa as needed for serving
- Stir the chili powder, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper together in a small bowl. Get out the pork shoulder and rub that mixture all over it. Then heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Brown the pork shoulder for about 2 minutes on each side to bring out the flavors of the spice rub. Pour in the lime juice, lime zest, tequila, chicken stock, cilantro and onion. Let it come to low boil, then cover the pot with its lid. Reduce the heat to a simmer and let it go low and slow for 6 hours.
- When it is done, remove the pork shoulder from the pot onto a large cutting board. Use two forks to shred the meat off of the bone and fat back. Transfer it to a bowl and pour a cup of the cooking liquid on the shredded pork. Mix it together. Then assemble the sandwiches! Toast the buns, then pile on the pork, a couple of slices of avocado and a couple of spoonfuls of salsa. Enjoy!
Tequila Lime Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Amount Per Serving (1 sandwich)
Calories 836 Calories from Fat 424
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 16.6g104%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
14 thoughts on “Tequila Lime Pulled Pork Sandwiches”
I’ve never had pulled pork, although I have seen it online so many times… I really have to try it, I am so sure I would like it, but it always seemed like such a big deal making it. Your version sounds easy so I just have to find a day, where I am sure to be at home all the time. I am drooling!!
Oh, it really is easy and you would love it!! It is perfect for a lazy Sunday to have loads of leftovers for the week 🙂
Wonder if you could make the meat in a slow cooker?
Absolutely! Rub the pork shoulder with the spice mixture, then just get all of the ingredients into the slow cooker on low for 7-8 hours. It will still be fall apart tender and super flavorful 🙂
I’m sure my husband would love this dish! I’ll have to make it for him.
I hope you do!!
That looks absolutely amazing! Need to try it
Thanks so much!!
Only my husband eats meat in the hourse, but this sandwich has too many calories (he’s on diet) x
Aw, too bad. Hope he can try it once the diet is done.
This looks delicious and loving the fresh avocado over top! Yummmm
Thanks very much!!
You had my attention at tequila haha These look absolutely delish! I love that you add avocado at the end!
The avocado definitely takes it over the top! Thanks!!
Comments are closed.