I was involved in a lot of after school activities as a child. Between dance, choir, the school play and softball my parents were always running me around somewhere. That went double since my little brother also had loads of activities. So many times, we needed dinner on the table with minimal fuss so that we could get going. French bread pizzas were always something my mom could put together in minutes with all kinds of different toppings. Right now things are extremely busy here too, so I took a page right out of my mom’s playbook. I piled my loaded french bread pizzas with sausage, roasted red peppers, onions and lots of cheese. They were so simple to make!
When the loaded French bread pizzas finished baking, they smelled so fantastic! There was a ton of flavor and texture going on too. I loved how the bread really crisped up while the toppings and cheese melded together. Hope you all love this simple dinner too! xoxo
- 1 loaf crusty French bread
- 1 dash olive oil
- 1 pound ground sweet Italian sausage
- 1 whole onion thinly sliced
- 1 jar roasted red peppers drained, 12 oz size, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 2 cups marinara sauce either homemade or jarred
- 4 ounces shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup freshly grated asiago cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 350, then get out a sheet tray and line it with a silicone mat or aluminum foil. Take the French bread loaf and cut it in half, then cut each half in half lengthwise to get 4 equal crusts. Set them on the sheet tray and set it aside. Get a large skillet on the stove and heat the olive oil in it over medium high heat. Brown the sausage in it while you break it up. Add in the onion and roasted red pepper when the sausage is almost done and let them soften for a couple of minutes. While that all cooks, season the mixture with the garlic powder, parsley, salt and crushed red pepper.
- At this point there will be a lot of liquid in the pan. Add in the corn starch to thicken the whole filling and absorb some of the liquid. Let the remaining liquid cook off for about another 4 minutes, then take the pan off of the heat. Then it's time to assemble the pizzas. Spread 1/2 a cup of marinara sauce on each piece of French bread, followed by 1/4 of the mozzarella. Then evenly distribute the sausage mixture on top of the mozzarella on each crust. Finish it off by sprinkling a tablespoon of asiago on top of each pizza. Bake them for about 20 minutes, until bubbly. Serve them immediately and enjoy!