During the fall we always had baked apples in my house growing up. My mom loved to make them and I sure loved to eat them. The smell of them baking while I sat in her kitchen chatting with her is one of those indelible childhood memories. I fully intend to continue the tradition in my own home, and I made good on those intentions this week. These classic baked apples were absolutely beautiful in their simplicity.
When they were done, I took the classic baked apples out and basted them with the juices in the pan. That deepened the flavor even more. Once they cooled enough to handle, I served them immediately with ice cream! Oh my goodness, it was like being in my mom’s kitchen again. The apples and filling were so perfect together with just the right texture. I hope you all love this childhood favorite as much as I do! xoxo
These classic baked apples are such a simple and perfect fall treat. The crisp, seasonal fruit is filled with brown sugar, almonds, raisins and spice!
- 4 whole apples I used gala
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon mace
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter quartered
- 3/4 cup water
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 and get out an 8 x 8 baking dish. First prepare the apples. Rinse and dry them thoroughly. Then use a paring knife to cut out the cores of the apples and use a spoon to scoop out the seeds. Leave about 1/2 inch on the bottom of the apples for a sturdy foundation. Then combine the brown sugar, raisins, chopped almonds, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, mace and vanilla in a bowl and stir them all together thoroughly. Spoon the mixture evenly in each of the apples, then top each apple with one of the quarters of butter.
- Fill the 8 x 8 dish with the water, then place the apples in it. Bake them for 40-45 minutes to really make them tender and the filling bubbly. When they are done, take them out and paste them with the juices in the pan. Let them cool enough to handle, then serve immediately with either whipped cream or ice cream!