I absolutely love this scrumptious bacon cheeseburger pie because it is a classic. Marc’s mom used to make a version for him and it is one of his childhood favorites. The best part was that there was no pie crust to worry about. I used a mixture of Bisquick to act as a batter that held the pie together almost like a quiche! First, I got my meaty filling going. I crisped up a few slices of bacon in my cast iron skillet. Once they were done and cool enough to handle, I crumbled them up.
After it set, I just served it immediately. Oh my goodness, the bacon and beef were so savory and amazing together. With the luscious cheese and fluffy baked Bisquick batter it was a home run that brought Marc right back to his childhood. Enjoy, friends! The handy printable is just below.
- 1 dash canola oil
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 pinch freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 dash worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash yellow mustard
- 1 whole onion diced small
- 1/2 cup Bisquick powdered mix
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 4 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Heat the canola oil in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Get the bacon slices into the hot pan to crisp up, which takes about 3-4 minutes on each side. When they're done, remove them to a plate lined with paper towel to drain them and let them crisp up even more. When they are cool enough to handle, crumble them up and set them aside.
- Meanwhile, add the beef to the pan to cook in the fat rendered out from the bacon. Brown the beef while breaking it up. While it cooks, flavor it with the salt, pepper, smoked paprika, Worcestershire sauce and yellow mustard. Once the meat is completely browned, stir in the onion and let it soften for a minute. Take the pan off of the heat and set it aside to cool.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees. Take a 9 inch pie pan and spray it well with cooking spray. In a bowl, thoroughly whisk together the Bisquick mix, eggs and milk until it is smooth. Spoon the cooled beef mixture into the prepared pie pan and press it down into an even layer. Sprinkle the crumbled bacon in a layer on top of the beef, then evenly spread out a layer of the shredded cheddar cheese. Pour the bisquick mixture on top of everything slowly and let it seep into all of the nooks and crannies.
- Bake the bacon cheeseburger pie for about 25 minutes, until it is puffy and golden on top. Take it out and let it cool for 5 minutes or so, then slice it up and serve immediately! Depending on how hungry your crowd is, this easily feeds 4 to 6 people.