It is still winter but I am so looking forward to warmer days soon! I was craving some sunny flavors this week big time. I think I was also trying to hold on to the California sun that Marc and I just left. When we were on our trip, we had the most amazing Hawaiian food for dinner one night. I just love how Hawaiian food has its own very distinctive vibe while seamlessly infusing Asian influences into it. So I was inspired to create these amazing and simple slow cooker Hawaiian chicken meatballs! They came together quickly.
When the slow cooker Hawaiian chicken meatballs were done, I served them immediately! Oh my goodness, there was such a perfect balance of sweet and savory. The pineapple and sweet duck sauce played off of the hoisin and spices beautifully. I served them over quinoa with a side of salad for an amazing, complete meal. So many other ways would have worked too. They could have been served in lettuce wraps, on slider rolls, or with brown rice. I hope you all enjoy this bright, sunny dish as much as we did! xoxo
These slow cooker Hawaiian chicken meatballs are so simple and wonderful! They're perfect to leave to cook low and slow for huge, sunny flavor.
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 dash Sriracha
- 1 dash worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 pound pre-diced pineapple juice reserved
- 1/2 an onion thinly sliced
- 1 jar hoisin sauce 8 ounce size
- 1/2 cup duck sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon reserved pineapple juice from the pre-cut pineapple
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a large bowl combine the ground chicken, garlic, egg, breadcrumbs, Sriracha, Worcestershire sauce, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. With clean hands, mix it all together well. Form the mixture into tight meatballs roughly the size of the palm of your hand. You should yield around 10. Lay them out in the bottom of the crock pot in a single layer. Evenly distribute the pineapple and sliced onion on top of the meatballs.
- In another bowl stir the hoisin sauce, duck sauce, sesame oil and reserved pineapple juice. Pour the sauce all over the ingredients in the crock pot and add the water to have enough liquid in the pot. Seal the crock pot and set it on low for 4 hours. When it is done, serve the meatballs in any way you wish! They are perfect served on quinoa, rice, lettuce wraps or slider rolls.