Last night was the cast party for the show I’m working on. It’s always a great time when everyone can get together and just hang out after a performance. One of the many things I love about doing theater is how the cast and crew bond so much through the rehearsal process and performances. Anyway, I volunteered to make something sweet for the occasion and I came up with this show stopping cannoli crepe cake! First, I made the crepe batter so it could rest.
While the batter rested, I quickly made the cannoli cream filling and the frosting.
The batter was rested by that point, so it was time for some crepe making! Now, I am usually not one for super specialized kitchen equipment. For my beloved crepes, I make an exception. I love my crepe pan.
With all of the components in place, it was time to bring the cannoli crepe cake together!
After it was all layered, I frosted the cannoli crepe cake gently so that I wouldn’t tear the crepes. Then I just finished it off with extra chocolate shavings and mini chocolate chips on top!
I was so relieved that it all came together fairly quickly and easily. Otherwise I was stopping at the store for cookies since there was no time to make anything else, ha! It was so decadent and definitely a hit at the party. I loved that it combined two of my great food loves…crepes and cannoli! Always keep life delicious, friends. xoxo
This cannoli crepe cake is such a show stopper! Luscious cannoli cream gets layered between tender crepes and frosted with chocolate buttercream.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 6 whole eggs
- 1/2 stick butter melted, for after the batter rests
- 1 dash canola oil for the pan
- 1 container ricotta cheese 15 ounce size
- 1 container mascarpone cheese 8 ounce size, softened at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/4 cups mini chocolate chips plus additional for topping the cake
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate roughly chopped
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 2 sticks butter softened to room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- shaved chocolate as needed for topping the cake
- First, prepare the crepe batter. Whisk the flour, cinnamon and salt together in a large mixing bowl to aerate them. In another bowl, thoroughly whisk the milk and eggs together. Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and whisk it all together until a smooth batter forms. Cover the bowl and set it aside in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to rest.
- While the batter rests, prepare the cannoli filling. Combine the ricotta, mascarpone, powdered sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and salt together in a large bowl. Use a hand mixer to whip it all together thoroughly. Add the chocolate chips and gently fold them in with a spatula. Set the filling aside covered in the refrigerator.
- Prepare the frosting next. Combine the chocolate and milk in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave the mixture for a minute to a minute and thirty second, until the chocolate is melted completely. Stir it together to become a shiny, easy ganache. Add the butter to the bowl of a stand mixer and whip it up with the paddle attachment until it is fluffy. Pour the ganache in and let it get completely beaten into the butter. Slowly pour in the powdered sugar with the mixer on low speed until the gorgeous frosting forms. Set the frosting aside.
- It's now time to make the crepes! Take the batter out and whisk the melted butter into it. Heat the canola oil in a 10 inch, shallow non-stick skillet or crepe pan over medium high heat. Pour 3/4 of a cup of the batter into the center of the pan and swirl it around to completely coat the bottom of the pan. Let the crepe cook on the first side for about 2 minutes, then flip it to do the same on the other side. Repeat this process with the rest of the batter until you have 6 crepes. This recipe can actually yield 7, but I made an insurance policy of one possibly tearing, falling apart, burning, and all other manner of crepe catastrophes. Fill the extra with nutella for a treat! Set the crepes aside and let them cool completely for a few minutes.
- Once they are cooled, it's time to assemble the cake! Put the first crepe on a cake stand and scoop three or four huge spoonfuls of the cannoli cream onto it. Spread it out evenly and add the next crepe on top of it. Press it down to make the layers really adhere to each other. Repeat until all of the layers are formed, finishing with the sixth crepe on top. Gently frost the cake with an offset spatula on top and around the sides. Sprinkle the shaved chocolate and lots of extra mini chocolate chips on top. Slice and serve immediately! It will also keep in the refrigerator for a day, so it's great for making ahead.